Saturday, October 17, 2009

Midnight Madness

So it has been a long time since my last post. But tonight marks the beginning of the Pep Band Season, so I'd thought I bring back my blog with a story about the infamous Midnight Madness.

As I write this entry, it's 12:30 Saturday morning. I've just gotten back from MM, and I must say I wasn't too impressed. Maybe it has something to do with being a freshman, but last year's MM was more impressive than this year's. But there were definitely some neat performances at tonight's Midnight Madness.

To start things off, the Pep Band played a few tunes. Then, Major Def, UMBC's hip-hop dance crew, claimed the floor as they showcased their dancing skills. Having not seen this group perform before, I was pretty impressed. Next followed UMBC's drum line, a first for this year. And then, of course, the dance team and cheer leaders.

An unexpected event tonight was the appearance of three guys from the Wizards. They call themselves the G-men. They did some fancy basket-shooting, jumping on trampolines and landing on foam mats. A few of the guys even did back flips and somersaults. It was a nice change from the usual MM activities.

And last but not least, there was the introduction of the 2009-2010 Men's and Women's Basketball teams. The women's team performed a dance routine to a medley of popular songs. I'm sure the video will be up on youtube later this week. If I find it, I'll post it for your viewing pleasure. The men's team had a dunk contest, but the outcome was decided way before MM even started. When Chauncey Gilliam came to the floor, the fans made it clear who they wanted to win. It seems that Chancey has the air about him that allows him to woo the crowd. Let's just hope he doesn't get too cockey during the upcoming season.

So that's about all I can write tonight. It's way past my bedtime and I have to get up in 5 hours or so.
There's more homecoming activities during the weekend. Check out http://umbc.edu/homecoming for a list of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment