Saturday, December 18, 2010

Surprise Package!

Yesterday my Friday afternoon went from boring to interesting pretty quickly. I thought I was going to spend the afternoon chilling out and watching some TV after my exam, but that changed pretty quickly. Around 4:30PM, the UPS guy rang my doorbell. I wasn't expecting any packages, yet the box had my name on it. What could it be, I wondered?
Out of curiosity I opened the box, wondering if I had ordered something off Amazon and just not remembered. To my surprise I opened the box to find what looked like the boxes that laptops come in. It was then that I remembered that I had signed up for the Google ChromeOS notebook program. A few seconds later I tore open the inner box and there it was - my very own ChromeOS notebook.
I immediately ran upstairs to unpack the box and see what it was like. And, of course, I needed to update my Facebook status to let all of my friends know that I was the proud new owner of a ChromeOS notebook. Who doesn't like to make their friends feel a little jealous?
I popped in the battery, flipped open the lid and was greeted by the Google Chrome logo. The setup process was simple and quick. As many of you probably know or have heard from other bloggers, you simply sign in with your Google Account and everything from "the cloud" is pulled down for you to use.
I only had time to spend a half hour or so playing around with it, and I still have mixed feelings about Cr-48. When I first got the notebook I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I guess I was expecting an operating system in the sense of Linux or Mac OSX, not simply a web browser. Sometimes you feel "claustrophobic" without the ability to switch to a desktop, as one blogger put it. But I guess it just takes time to get used to.
I'll try to post some more once I get a chance to really use the notebook. I think it can have some potential benefits, but it definitely won't replace my MacBook or iMac anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment