Friday, February 20, 2009

Fight Club

So, I am sure you've all seen the movie "Fight Club". I, unfortunately, have not, and should probably watch it. But, that's not the fight club I want to talk about. Today I was talking with one of my friends, and he told me about a "fight club" that existed at his middle school. He went back to visit the other day, and found out that the club still existed, and they were taping "fights" and putting them on YouTube. What better way to spend your lunch and recess that video taping a fight between the school nerd and overly confident prepubescent jock, right? Well, it seems that their fun came to an end when the principal found out that they were doing. Too bad I didn't get to see any of these fights before they were taken off the net.
Maybe I'm just getting older, but the last time I checked, kids weren't supposed to be fighting in school; they're supposed to be learning. I remember there being some bullying problems back when I was in middle school, but I never remember anything this extreme. I guess being a private school kid (no, my parents are not rich) "protected" me from the experiences that some of my public school friends had. Now I'm not trying to say that public schools are bad, I'm just saying that, compared to private schools, there are differences in the way that students are expected to behave. Although I will have to admit that even the fancy private schools have their share of unruly students.
So why were these kids fighting in school? Did they not like each other? Did they have pent up aggression that they needed to release? Are there problems at home? There could be any number of reasons, but now's not the time to psychoanalyze the situation. What are your thoughts? Do you see bullying as a problem in schools? Are there ways for schools to help students de-stress and express their emotions in positive, productive ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment